One of the primary contributors to homeowners’ high utility bills is their air conditioning system. This is why many homeowners are continuously looking for ways on how to maximize their use of their air cooling systems. Aside from the savings they will generate from their monthly utility bills, they will also be able to help better take care of their air cooling systems; thus, ensuring a longer lifespan for their air cooling systems.
Fortunately, lowering your utility bills does not have to be difficult and stressful. There are easy things that you can do at home that will allow you and your family to continue enjoying the comfort of your Myrtle Beach air conditioning systems without having to spend a lot of money.
1. Change your air filters regularly – One of the most important things you can do to lower your utility bill is to ensure that you air cooling systems are in an efficient condition. An efficiently operating air cooling system will not use as much energy to produce cold air. And one way to ensure your system is in an efficient condition is by regularly changing your air filters.
Your system’s air filters is what filters the air that goes through the system. It traps dirt, dust and other debris present in the air before it releases the air into your house. Failure to change or clean them may lead to dirt and debris accumulation which may cause clogging of the system’s airways. As a result, your system will have difficulty operating and may need to use a lot of electricity to operate.
This is the time of year that people often forget to change the filters because the weather is getting cooler. However, here in Myrtle Beach we often have very warm days that will still cause your unit to run and if the air filter is clogged the system will bog down.
2. Invest in a programmable thermostat – This is probably the best investment you can do for your air cooling systems as they allow you to more easily and more effectively control the temperature of your air cooling system. With a programmable thermostat, the system produces cold air throughout the day when the family is at home and maintains the average room temperature at night or when no one is at home.
There are different types of programmable thermostats available on the market today. Some are integrated with modern technology that it can be controlled using your smart phones. Others are developed to memorize your temperature settings, including when you change them so you do not have to repeatedly adjust the settings every day. There are also others that are more affordable and are easy to install even without assistance from air conditioning professionals in Myrtle Beach like Air Comfort Heating and Cooling.
3. Make use of your window blinds – Your window blinds help prevent the sun’s light and heat from penetrating throughout the room. Keep in mind that the sun’s heat and light can easily increase your indoor temperature; thus, making it more difficult for your air cooling system to produce and maintain cold air inside the house. Keep the blinds closed for the most part of the day.
If you prefer not to use blinds, however, you can consider using solar screens or window films. These work similarly like blinds preventing the sun’s heat and light from getting inside the house.
4. Ensure proper home insulation – Another reason why you might be having high utility bills is that your house is not properly insulated. If your house is not properly insulated, the cold air produced by your air cooling system leaks outdoors. And the more cold air that escapes through the gaps in your insulation, the harder your system will have to operate to produce more cold air.
To ensure your home is properly insulated, you will want to check all walls, doors and windows and find any gaps or holes. Make sure you close these holes securely. You can hire a professional handyman from Myrtle Beach Home Services to do this to ensure high quality service.
5. Create additional sources of shade – Adding sources of shade also helps to prevent the sun’s heat from seeping through the inside of your house. These sources of shade can be awnings to your windows or trees and shrubs that are strategically planted in your backyard. You may need assistance from a landscaping professional and air cooling experts in determining the best trees to plant and where to place them in your backyard.
These tips should help you lower your air conditioning costs and help you better take care of your system. Call Air Comfort Heating and Cooling today and schedule for a checkup.
Air Comfort Heating & Cooling
4555 Highway 17 Bypass South
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Conway, Loris, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Atlantic Beach, Briarcliffe Acres, Surfside Beach, Bucksport, Forestbrook, Garden City, Little River, Red Hill, Socastee, Carolina Forest, Cherry Grove, Cool Spring, Fantasy Harbour, Gallivants Ferry, Green Sea, Longs, Pine Island, Springmaid Beach