Before going on that summer vacation, there are several things you need to accomplish such as preparing your HVAC system to ensure you won’t have to pay large energy bills when you return. Keep in mind that your electrical appliances use a lot of electricity every day. Hence, it’s important not to neglect the necessary preparations and precautions you must do to make your house energy efficient.
Aside from your air conditioning system, other appliances that use electricity even when not being used actively are your home theater systems and refrigerators. Your water heater alone can eat 400 kWh of electricity per month. If you don’t do anything to lower your electricity consumption, you will end up paying sky high energy bills. Plus, the cost of energy is only going to increase by the year, so it’s not too late to start conserving your use of electricity.
If you’re going away for vacation this summer, it’s even more important that you prepare your home before leaving to ensure it won’t consume too much electricity. After all, it won’t be fair to pay for electricity you didn’t use. You have no choice but to pay for it even though you were not home at the time.
To help you ensure your HVAC and other appliances won’t consume to much electricity when you leave for your vacation, here are some tips you can do.
- If your heating and ventilation system runs automatically at sudden changes in temperature, make sure there are no heat producing devices near your thermostat. Your thermostat may pick up the change in temperature coming from the devices thus causing the AC to be switched on even when there is no one in the room.
- While still at home, increase the setting of your thermostat and set it higher when you leave. According to experts, it’s better to cool your home when you return as this will result to 10% or more savings on cooling costs.
- If possible, use timers on your lights, especially the ones outdoors, so they will automatically be switched off during the day and switched on throughout the night.
- Ensure your refrigerator runs efficiently so it will not consume as much energy. You can do so by cleaning it inside and outside before you leave. Make sure there are no dusts and debris left on the fins, motors, and coils.
- Use a dehumidifier to ensure there will be no moisture build up while you’re away on vacation. Moisture makes your HVAC system work more and, thus, consume more electricity.
- Turn off and unplug your electrical appliances as well as your office machines. Make sure they are all unplugged from the socket because they will still consume electricity even when they are turned off but plugged in.
Call Air Comfort Heating and Cooling for a complete maintenance checkup today.
Air Comfort Heating & Cooling
4555 Highway 17 Bypass South
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Conway, Loris, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Atlantic Beach, Briarcliffe Acres, Surfside Beach, Bucksport, Forestbrook, Garden City, Little River, Red Hill, Socastee, Carolina Forest, Cherry Grove, Cool Spring, Fantasy Harour, Gallivants Ferry, Green Sea, Longs, Pine Island, Springmaid Beach