Using your HVAC unit for longer hours may cause problems that require costly repair. This is especially true if you do not know how to properly take care of your air conditioner. Keep in mind that the more you use your air conditioning unit, the better you need to maintain it.
You can start with these basic do’s and don’ts to properly take care of your HVAC unit and be able to get more efficient use from it.
- Don’t buy a bigger unit if you are looking to reduce your energy consumption. Bigger is not always better. Make sure you specifically consider the size of the room where you will place the air conditioning unit first before making any purchases. An air conditioner that is too big or too small for a room will not perform efficiently and may only cause to increase your electric use.
- It is better to operate your cooling units for longer hours than to switch it on and off repeatedly. Longer operating hours give your cooling units sufficient time to be able to better control the room temperature.
- Do change or clean your filter regularly, more so if you use your HVAC units more often. This helps ensure your units will always produce clean and cool air. Failure to regularly change or clean your air filters may not only result to costly damages on your unit but they may also cause health problems.
- Don’t set the thermostat to the maximum settings if you want to quickly change the temperature inside your home. This will cause your air conditioner to work harder and consume more energy. Keep in mind that maintaining a small difference in the temperature inside and outside is more efficient.
- Do use a ceiling fans or wall fans to help spread the cool air from your cooling units much faster and more efficiently. This is an effective way to quickly cool your entire home without consuming as much energy as compared to using your air conditioner solely.
- If you use automatic thermostats, do not place television sets, lamps, and other furniture or home appliance that produces heat. The thermostat may sense the heat coming off these pieces of furniture, triggering it to operate longer and work much harder.
- Ensure your air conditioner’s outside unit is not placed in direct sunlight. If so and there is no other convenient area for you to place it, you can compensate by placing plants and trees near it to block the direct path of the sunlight and to provide some form of shading as well. But be sure not to block the airflow and that the plants and trees are far enough that they won’t clutter the area surrounding the outside unit.
Take good care of your HVAC unit by entrusting them only to professionals. Call Air Comfort Heating and Cooling now.
Air Comfort Heating & Cooling
4555 Highway 17 Bypass South
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Conway, Loris, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Atlantic Beach, Briarcliffe Acres, Surfside Beach, Bucksport, Forestbrook, Garden City, Little River, Red Hill, Socastee, Carolina Forest, Cherry Grove, Cool Spring, Fantasy Harbour, Gallivants Ferry, Green Sea, Longs, Pine Island, Springmaid Beach